Navbar

Image Map

Pages-hidden

Friday 14 November 2014

Exploring Gare d'Austerlitz.

When living in a big city like Paris, you find that even though there is always something new to explore and a never ending supply of fascinating places to discover, you get to know certain places fairly well. For example, I use line 10 on the metro everyday, and can now reel off all the stops on the line without even realising that I had adopted this 'talent'!

Whilst I've explored most stops on my line, somewhere I had never been is the dreaded 'end of the line', which for me is Gare d'Austerlitz. I don't know why, but I always imagine that when I come to the end of the line that I'll be in the middle of nowhere, some suburban place so different to the heart of Paris. 

Of course I was mistaken. Even if it is the end of the line, Gare d'Austerlitz does still fall within zone 1 of Paris. 

After visiting an Arabic cafe, and the beautiful 'Jardin des Plantes', some friends and I visited Galerie de palĂ©ontologie et d’anatomie comparĂ©e (Gallery of Palaeontology and Comparative Anatomy). 

So this museum is definitely not going to be for everyone, but we thought it was really fascinating! After being confronted by an army of animal skeletons on the bottom floor, we ventured higher and found Dinosaurs, Mammoths and even a Sabre-toothed tiger. 

The area is really beautiful, and definitely worth a visit if you have half a day. From now on I am changing my 'end of the line' perceptions!








No comments:

Post a Comment